The volunteering professionals on Educate Tanzania's U.S. Team are characterized by their character, competence and compassion. They are forward-thinking world citizens who are generous with their time, expertise, and global connections. The U.S. Team prioritizes our Tanzanian partners' intentions to bring water, nutrition, health and education to their developing community. We work with global partners and local leaders in Karagwe to bring economic opportunity and social transformation to NW Tanzania.
The Board of Directors
Jan B. Hansen, Ph.D. | Co-Founder, President/CEO | MN
Jan was raised on a farm, had doors opened for her, and works to ensure that doors of opportunity are open for others. Prior to co-founding and becoming CEO of Educate Tanzania 2010, Jan was a professor and administrator at the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota where she also co-founded the Center for Engineering Education. Before joining the faculty at St. Thomas in 1996, Jan served as Associate Director of the Gifted Education Resource Institute at Purdue University, expanding initiatives in the U.S. and internationally.
Stephen C. Hansen | Co-Founder, Director | MN
Senior Vice President, EVS, Inc.
Steve was born into a family of beer distributors and has been committed to sound business, trusted relationships and protecting the environment for his entire life. Steve is an Environmental Scientist with over 40-years experience in developing business within renewable energy sectors including solar, water resources management, and hazardous waste industries. He received his B.S. degree from St. John's University in Minnesota and his Masters from the University of Wisconsin. Steve is currently Senior Vice President of EVS Engineering.
- Mr. Tom Johnston, Esq., ETI General Counsel, Treasurer
- Dr. Gracious Msuya, Vice President: Advisor/Liaison-Tanzania
- Ms. Addy Perkins, Secretary
- Ms. Lori Duzan, Secretary, Bookkeeper
ELCT/KAD Management Team
- Bishop Dr. Benson Kalikawe Bagonza (Bishop, ELCT/KAD)
- Rev. Yoram Karusya (General Secretary, ELCT/KAD)
- Rev. Yared Namala Wakami (Dean, ELCT/KAD)
- Rev. Elieth Kiiza ** (DGS – Women, Children and Social Welfare)
- Rev. Elnathan Rubanga (DGS - Mission and Evangelism, ELCT/KAD)
- Ms. Neema Lutara, (DGS – Finance, ELCT/KAD)
- Dr. Furaha Kahindo (DGS-Health, ELCT/KAD)
- Ms. Linda Mambo, (Planning and Development, ELCT/KAD)
- Rev. Dr. Brighton Juel Katabaro (KARUCO Principal)
Educate Tanzania partners with some highly effective organizations globally to bring water, food, health and education to needy parts of the world. Joined by their mutual commitment to building economic security and social transformation, professionals from Higher Education, Engineering, Agriculture, Renewable Energy Industries, Architecture, Medicine, Business, Churches, Finance, and International Development have volunteered hundreds of hours to help shape Tanzania's future. ETI is able to donate most of its funds directly to programs in Tanzania because of ETI's cadre of competent partners.
- Rev. Dr. Benson Kalikawe Bagonza & KAD Management Team (Bishop & Executive Management Team, ELCT/KAD);
- Mr. Johansen Bampabura, Village Official, Kishoju
- Mr. Horace Kamkoto, Farm Manager & Tutor, KARUCO
- Mrs. Sophia Kanyamwenge, Assistant, KARUCO
- Mr. Vincent Mukuru, KAD Engineer Technician
- Ms. Elgoodness Emmanuel Rwoto, Consulting Engineer, KAD
- Dr. Andrew Cesari, Chair; Coord of Interfaith Bishops; Church/Govt Liaison (Previous Head, Chief Medical Officer, Nyakahanga Hospital, Karagwe)
- District Land Officer
- Kihanga Ward Executive Officer
Technical volunteers are selected based upon their professional capabilities to deliver expertise in areas that assist ETI in reaching their stated goals. Volunteer opportunities generally begin with real-life requests from our global partners and require a specific set of skills that reside within a professionally trained expert. In no case is an opportunity meant to be short-term volunteer experience for the sake of travel.
Architecture, Engineering, Site Planning and Construction
- Bruce Engel Architects
- MSAADA Architects
- University of St Thomas School of Engineering
- AAA Triple A Architects, Bukoba
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania, Karagwe
- Ezekiel Lutheran Church, River Falls WI
- Maple Grove Covenant Church, Maple Grove MN
- St Johns Lutheran Church MS, Chaska MN
- St Johns Lutheran, Eau Claire WI
- Spirit Lutheran Church, Eau Claire WI
- University of St Thomas, St Paul MN
- Victory Lutheran Church MS, Eden Prairie MN
- Westwood Community Church, Chanhassen MN
- Evangelical Church of Hesse and Nassau, Germany
- Nienstedten Church, Hamburg, Germany
- United Evangelical Mission (UEM), Germany
- Church of Sweden, Diocese of Vasteras
Communication, Media, Website
- HardlyNeutral Consulting
- GoKart Labs – Eric Johnson
- Christel Ngani - Google
- The Nerdery
Curriculum and Program Development
- University of Minnesota
- EARTH University
- KARUCO Task Force
Evaluation, Needs Assessment
- University of Minnesota - Chris Johnstone
- Cohn Consulting - Sarah Cohn
Rural Economic Development
- REAS, Magnus Fredricson, Sweden
Solar Power, Infrastructure, and Energy
- EVS Engineering
- KARUCO Task Force
We are looking for qualified volunteers for Extension Education (Seminars on Agriculture, Livestock, Farm Technology) and The Technology Team. Contact us for more information!
- Natalie Brenner, Consultant Bookkeeper
- Dawn Hagelee, Appreciation/Recognition
- Eric Johnson, Digital Media Administrator
Volunteers and Interns
Where would ETI be without its volunteers and interns providing necessary help behind the scenes. A diverse, robust and enthused group of volunteers and interns assist the Board and Officers of Educate Tanzania with everything from office organization to coordinating fundraisers to editing social media to arranging accommodations for visiting partners, to writing information packets regarding ETI - to name just a few tasks. Although our interns and volunteers are too numerous to list, we want to acknowledge them in meaningful ways. Join us at our yearly fundraiser and hear the stories.
Without you, we wouldn't be where we are today!